Tuesday, March 8, 2011

"Why Would You Eat That?" Conditioning? IDK?

I recently was overcome with the urge to purchase a chub of "Liverwurst" as I was browsing through the Deli section at my local Mart.  Quickly pounced on by (family) observers, I was besotted with questions (?); What is that? Why would you eat it?  To wit I could only respond, uhm, well, I don't know?

When I was a child, my Dad prepared, served and ate some really mysterious things.  He was raised on a Farm in North Dakota, where apparently on cold winter nights, deep in the snow, anything is edible... consequently, My Dad felt compelled to BBQ, Pickle, Jerk, Dry, or Encase just about any form of meat!  I guess it was a Hobby of sorts, weird, but interesting eating...when your hungry, you will eat some strange things too...

We had Rattlesnake, Possum, Bear, Ostrich and Alligator as well as any number of more usual things like Deer, Moose, Elk, Boar, Rabbit, Quail and hell I guess the list is too long...but you get the picture!
But whenever he coveted something, he had a way of "sneaking" it off to his room and we would be of course BARELY the wiser most of the time, only getting "wind" of it once in awhile, like an empty package or container!  This of course made it all the more desirable to us, the ones NOT getting any of it!

One of these strange things my Dad Hoarded and wouldn't give up was his Liverwurst, or Braunschweiger, this of course has set me up for life to occasionally and without reason suddenly desire to purchase and consume some unknown and strange meat sandwich... I don't WANT to find out what is in it... just pass the mustard and leave me alone... at least I'm not hunting Rattlers!  Well,..... lately...  "0

No comments: